Tuesday, July 3, 2012

How did I get here?

For the first night in a while, I didn't have to do a live shot.  That was grounds for a Murphy s law effect.  Dumped my gear in my news vehicle.  Placed my camera in its kennel for the night.  A mere seconds later, Truck rolled over, on the freeway.  I neglected to get the details, because loading up the live truck(again) would take a while.  So at 11:05, I was out the door, with the destination to get to the scene, tune in, and get a live picture on for the 11.  Of course, in my mind, I didn't see that happening. My mind set in breaking news situations is this.  Only because, If I don't get a shot out, I am not disappointed.  However if I do, then a pat on my own back.  Because, lets face it, probably the only ''pat'' I will get.

Now to the scene: after a successful live picture of a somewhat obstructed view of the scene, I quickly tore down.  With camera in hand, and mic ready to get sound, i darted across the road.  Ran up the hill, and got several shots of the truck.  Little did I know, I was up to my ankles in talc powder. Thank goodness I am not allergic to talc.  After driving several miles to turn around and come back on the other lanes, I parked the truck.  For those of you asking, yes I had my safety vest on.  I shot some more video, then was told to go b back to my truck, or I would have to be stripped down, and hosed off.  You can guess what I did next. if it were 100 degrees, I might have chosen the water shower.  So after several questions asked, and gear put back in the truck, I sped off.

As you can see from this picture, The  truck didn't seem to do much damage to the guardrail.  Somehow I don;t think it was any match.

No comments:

Post a Comment